1/2 Photos of Stuffing Balls
charlie #5's Note:
This is an heirloom recipe made by many members of my family. It can be made ahead of the holidays and the balls frozen. One less job at the end. We always formed the stuffing into balls so they were easy to serve individually, easy to grab a cold stuffing ball as leftovers. My Grandma made extra to freeze and use for stuffed chicken breasts later. Grandma always said to try and get a little bit (a speck) of poultry seasoning on each piece of bread. If you like to stuff a bird with it, just place the stuffing balls in the cavity loosely. Unsure of yield. Times do not allow for day of bread getting stale. I always mix mine in a large roasting pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Open the loaves of bread and allow the bread to get stale for a day.
- 2Tear the bread into 1-1/2" pieces including the crusts.
- 3Beat the eggs with the milk and water; sparingly, drizzle this mixture over the bread and mix it in just to moisten.
- 4Saute the celery, onions, and green pepper in the butter until translucent. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Add the warm celery and butter mixture to the bread.
- 6Add the parsley and sprinkle in a little rubbed sage.
- 7Cover lightly with poultry seasoning.
- 8Gently toss with your hands.
- 9Gently push the stuffing mixture into the corner of your mixing pan and allow to sit for 30 minutes to absorb the liquid in the bread.
- 10Form the stuffing into small balls similar to a baseball.
- 11You may freeze the balls at this point by arranging on a baking sheet and flash freezing.
- 12When frozen, place stuffing balls in the bread bag wrappers.
- 13When ready to bake, place balls in a 9 x 13 inch pan with about 1/4" hot broth in the bottom of the pan.
- 14You can bake them frozen or defrosted, adjust your time accordingly.
- 15Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes, basting a few times until browned.
Browse Our Top Healthy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffing Balls
Serving Size: 1 (1760 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2938.3
- Calories from Fat 825
- Total Fat 91.6 g
- Saturated Fat 43.9 g
- Cholesterol 528.1 mg
- Sodium 4843.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 440.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.6 g
- Sugars 44.7 g
- Protein 85.8 g