1/1 Photo of Stuffed Zucchini Italian Style
1 hr 20 mins
Reading through several recipes on line and in my vast collection of cookbooks - I made this recipe up tonight making use of only what I had on hand. DH said - this is keeper - better write it down quick! Edited 7/06 to lighten the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium fresh zucchini
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1In large skillet, brown sausage.
- 2Drain well.
- 3In same skillet, saute onion & garlic 5 minutes in oil.
- 4Cut zucchini in half - remove seeds from center, reserving meaty party and cutting into cube approximate 1/2" in size, leaving boat shell for stuffing.
- 5In large bowl mix together sausage, bread crumbs, seasonings, egg, onion, garlic and tomatoes and cubed zucchini.
- 6Mix to just combine.
- 7Stuff into zucchini boats and place in 9x13 baking dish.
- 8Pour entire can of tomato sauce over stuffed boats.
- 9Bake un-covered in 375º oven approximately 45 minutes.
- 10Place cheese (tear to fit boats or use shredded) & place on top of tomato sauce.
- 11Return to oven for approximately 10 minutes - cheese should bubble.
- 12Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Zucchini Italian Style
Serving Size: 1 (552 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.3
- Calories from Fat 409
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 130.8 mg
- Sodium 3277.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 38.9 g