Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
These delicious boats are popular with children and the vegetarians can replace the meat with finely chopped mushrooms. Maybe made into individual servings with small/medium zucchinis or one big one.
- 4 medium zucchini (about 300g each)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g raw minced chicken
- 300 g cooked rice (preferably short grain)
- 1 tablespoon ketjap manis (or other soya sauce)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons strong chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- Cut a wedge from zucchini (a hatch), approximately 15cm x 4cm on a 300g zucchini.
- Scrape pulp from each wedge.
- Scrape the pulp from the inside of the zucchini to form a cavity (like making a dugout canoe).
- Chop and reserve the pulp.
- In a large wok or pan, Cook the chopped onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes in the olive oil.
- Add minced chicken and cook a further 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini pulp, tomato paste, kecap manis, sugar and stock.
- Season with pepper.
- cook uncovered for a few minutes to dry mixture a little.
- Remove from heat and stir through rice, mint and parsley.
- Place zucchini boats side by side in a baking dish.
- Fill with vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle on grated cheese.
- Top with lids.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake in 180C oven for 25 or so minutes.