Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is wonderful. Easy to make. My kids who do not like zucchini ate it all and refused to believe that's what it was.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut off end of zucchini and slice in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out pulp to leave 1/8" shell. Put pulp in mixing bowl and chop up well.
- Cook sausage and drain well.
- Mix zucchini pulp, mushrooms, and sausage.
- Scoop mixture into zucchini shells.
- Pour sauce over top.
- Place in baking dish. Cover with tinfoil. Make sure tinfoil is tight on pan. If it isn't this will take a long time!
- Bake in oven 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove tinfoil and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered 5 minutes or until cheese is melty and bubbly.
Used this recipe as a guideline.....used lean ground beef, onion, green pepper and seasonings
I cheated and cooked them covered in the microwave for 6 minutes, then topped with cheese and baked them for 5 minutes in the oven at 400. They were cooked PERFECTLY. I only used 3/4 lb meat and 1 can of mushrooms and I still had more filling than I needed. Next time I will mix some sauce into the meat mixture plus put more sauce on top. I also topped them off with Parmesean. Nice recipe.
These were great...my husband even liked them! The only change I made was leaving out the mushrooms and adding a little bit of Parmesan cheese to the zucchini/sausage mixture. I used spicy Italian sausage too. These were just so simple and delicious...they will go into my recipe rotation for sure!