1/4 Photos of Stuffed Veal Scallops With a Mushroom Sauce and Carrot Rosti
1 hr 30 mins
The Flying Chef's Note:
My veal scallops were huge, in fact I have never bought scallops of veal this big before, I made one per person. I have made this before with small veal scallops and I made three per person, I used about 1-2 teaspoons of stuffing for each slice and made them as little bundles, so either way will work fine. You will see from the photograph just how large it was I was able to cut each veal scallop into four pieces. Maybe where you are in the world this will not seem strange to you, this may be standard size, but where I am I usually get small scallops of veal, not that I am complaining it was delicious and took me half the time because I wasn't rolling up 12 little rolls, just 4 huge ones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large veal scallops or 12 small veal scallops
- olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30 -40 g butter
- 250 g mushrooms, 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms for the stuffing (save the remaining mushrooms for the sauce.)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, rashers chopped
- 1/2 cup herb stuffing mix (I use paxo sage and onion.)
- 100 ml hot water
- butter (extra)
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable stock
- 130 g veal mince
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 8 -16 slices prosciutto (8 if slices are thick, 2 per scallop, 16 if thin, 4 per scallop. If using small veal scallops I do 3)
- 10 -12 mushrooms, sliced thinly (the remainder of mushrooms from the 250g.)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 50 ml thick double cream
- 50 ml light cream
- 3 tablespoons bisto, chicken instant gravy granules (I use bisto brand.)
- 1Add a little olive oil to a pan, add shallots and garlic, cook until onion softens. Add butter and melt, add mushrooms, cook and stir until liquid has evaporated.
- 2Meanwhile in a small pan cook chopped bacon, until browned.
- 3Add herbs and bacon to mushroom mix and stir to combine, remove from heat.
- 4Boil some water, add a knob of butter and veg stock to a measuring jug, pour 100ml of hot water into jug, stir until butter has melted and stock has dissolved. Add this liquid to the stuffing, mix to combine, finally add this to the mushroom mix.
- 5Add the veal mince to the pan and stir to combine, add the egg and Parmesan cheese, again stir to combine.
- 6Season veal scallops with salt and pepper, spread stuffing over veal, leaving just a small border around the edge. Roll scallop up and wrap prosciutto slices around the veal to secure. If you have any stuffing left over I just cook that separate.
- 7Heat a small amount of oil in a pan add rolls to brown both sides. Transfer to a lightly oiled ovenproof dish, drizzle a little oil over veal rolls and bake at 180ºC for 30-40min's or until done. Check regularly towards the end of cooking as you do not want to over cook and toughen it up.
- 9While pork is cooking make the sauce, add the oil to a pan along with the sliced mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are browned and soft, add wine and water, simmer a few minutes to reduce slightly.
- 10Add chicken stock and stir to dissolve, add thick double cream first and stir until it well combined, add light cream, season with pepper, finally add gravy granules and stir to thicken, serve over veal.
- 11Carrot Rosti.
- 12Combine sour cream, cumin and dill in a small bowl, refrigerate until needed.
- 13Combine carrot, egg, egg white and flour in a large bowl, Cook serving spoon size rosties in an oiled pan until browned on both sides and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 14Note:I say serving spoon size as you want it bigger than a tablespoon, they should be large in diameter but quite flat, you will get the idea from the picture.
- 15Serve with sour cream mixture.
- 16To Serve: Either arrange little rolls on a plate and pour sauce over or slice into thin slices if you have used larger scallops like me and again pour sauce over. Place some salad greens on plate top with carrot rosties and dollop with sour cream mix.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Veal Scallops With a Mushroom Sauce and Carrot Rosti
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.8
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 229.2 mg
- Sodium 619.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 20.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves
herb stuffing mix