Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Stuffed Sweet Peppers with tuna and anchovy fillets.
- 4 large bell peppers (preferably red or yellow)
For the stuffing
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 small green pepper
- 4 ounces tuna in water
- 2 anchovy fillets, desalted by soaking in a little milk
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup green olives
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- STEP 1).Wash the large peppers, cut off tops and remove the seeds and white pith.
- Blanch in boiling salted water for 5 minutes then rinse under cold running water; drain well.
- STEP 2). Prepare the stuffing: peel and dice the eggplant, cut the celery into pieces, remove seeds and pith from the green pepper, and cut into strips.
- STEP 3).Drain the tuna fish and the anchovy fillets, and chop. In 1/2 the oil, brown the garlic, then remove and discard it. Add the eggplant, celery, pitted olives and capers, then the tomato paste and a little stock. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook slowly.
- adding a little more stock occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Stuff the peppers with this mixture.
- Place them in a skillet with the remainder of the oil and a little water.
- Cook in a moderate over (350 F) for about 1/2 hour. or until peppers are tender. ENJOY!