Recipe by sharda
This is very tasty recipe form north India. It is very good as a side dish and very healthy too. I learned from my friend's mother who is a great cook. Try this once--you'll love it.
- 4 medium karela
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons besan
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the karelas and scrap them a little.
- Peel the onions, ginger and garlic.
- Make a slit cut on the karela only on one side from start to end.
- Take a pressure cooker and boil karelas, onion, ginger, garlic (whole) with a pinch of salt and water.
- Wwitch off the gas just after one whistle.
- If boiling in a pan, take more water and just cook until the karelas are tender enough.
- Drain the excess water from the karelas.
- For stuffing:.
- In a grinder, grind the boiled onion, ginger and garlic.
- Take a pan, put 3 tablespoon of oil and put mustard seed to splutter.
- Then add the ground paste, chili powder, mustard powder, tamarind paste, salt to taste, and half of the turmeric powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder.
- Stir for some minutes until the paste starts to leave oil in the pan.
- Make a thick paste of besan, rest of the turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
- Open the slits of karela and fill the stuffing as required.
- Take a pan, put oil for frying.
- Dip the stuffed karela one by one in the besan batter and drop it in the oil for frying.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil in paper towel.
- Serve hot.