Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Unique and tasty meal-buns may be frozen after cooking for great make-ahead lunch. Save prep time by purchasing pre-packaged shredded cabbage from your local produce market. Recipe is for four sandwiches-however, I make six smaller sandwiches and find them more enjoyable.
- 1 lb frozen white bread dough, thawed (equals 2 loaves)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley (fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- kosher salt (optional)
- cracked pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 10 inch skillet, brown beef over medium heat.
- Drain fat and add cabbage, onions, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook until cabbage is crisp/tender (5 minutes).
- Add cheese and ketchup.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Divide each bread loaf into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into a 6 inch circle.
- Place 1/2 C of beef mixture into center of each circle.
- Pinch the edges of the dough together to enclose beef and form into bun shape.
- Seam side down, place filled bun on greased cookie sheet.
- In small bowl, mix egg and milk.
- Brush top of bun with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle top with a bit of kosher salt and cracked pepper if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce and relish if desired.
- TIP-buns can be frozen after cooking.
- To prepare frozen buns, remove from freezer-wrap in foil and place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until heated through.
This was very good! I only made 2 changes which I believe neither affected the taste. I made exactly as stated except I used home made bread dough and I rolled the whole loaf into a long rectangle, filled, folded dough over and baked for 25 minutes. It reminded me of beirox (mp) I served this with garlic mashed potatoes, cole slaw and pumpkin pie. Thanks for posting!!
Very good...I am glad this was here.
WONDERFUL! We loved these! Using Tgirls suggestion, I left out the cabbage because my son doesn't care for it. Although I am sure it adds a great texture, we didn't miss out at all. So easy to make, really really tasty, smelled great while cooking and my son wanted the leftovers for his lunch the next day. Now that is one shining review from him! Thanks TGirl, RN!!!