Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made these up on the spur of the moment when a friend gave me grape leaves from her garden. They turned out really good!
- 16 grape leaves
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 8 ounces kalamata olives
- Put rice, currants, pine nuts, cumin, and coriander in a pot. Add cold water. Bring to a boil. *note: I live in Colorado. The amount of water might need to be adjusted for sea level!
- Once water is boiling, cover and turn heat down to medium low. Let simmer for twenty minutes.
- If you have a rice cooker, just put everything in the rice cooker and cook it as you normally would rice.
- Meanwhile, blanch grape leaves.
- Allow rice mixture to cool to room temperature. Once cool, add feta and olives. Mix well.
- Separate grape leaves. Place two end to end, slightly overlapping. Fill with the rice mixture and wrap tightly. (This is the first time I've wrapped grape leaves. I'm sure there is a trick to it, but I just tucked it around and let it more or less dry into place.).