Recipe by Geema
I like this recipe because it not only tastes delicious, and makes a beautiful presentation, but is quick and easy to put together. You don't have to be an experienced gourmet chef to serve your family these special little birds.
Top Review by mariposa13
Made for Zaar Tag. This was the first time I cooked cornish hens. I followed the directions exactly, but scaled it down for only 2 people. This took little effort and looked good. Thanks!
- 4 Cornish hens
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated raw apple
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- melted butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute the chopped onions in the tablespoon of butter until soft.
- Mix rice, onions, apple, raisins and poultry seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Season the cornish hens well inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup stuffing into each hen cavity.
- Brush hens liberally with melted butter.
- Place hens, breast side up in a shallow baking pan.
- Cook for about 45 minutes depending on the size of the hens, basting once during the roasting time.
- Make Sauce: In small saucepan, cook the orange juice, brown sugar and butter until thickened, stirring frequently.