Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I like this recipe because it not only tastes delicious, and makes a beautiful presentation, but is quick and easy to put together. You don't have to be an experienced gourmet chef to serve your family these special little birds.
- 4 Cornish hens
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated raw apple
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- melted butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute the chopped onions in the tablespoon of butter until soft.
- Mix rice, onions, apple, raisins and poultry seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Season the cornish hens well inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup stuffing into each hen cavity.
- Brush hens liberally with melted butter.
- Place hens, breast side up in a shallow baking pan.
- Cook for about 45 minutes depending on the size of the hens, basting once during the roasting time.
- Make Sauce: In small saucepan, cook the orange juice, brown sugar and butter until thickened, stirring frequently.
Made for Zaar Tag. This was the first time I cooked cornish hens. I followed the directions exactly, but scaled it down for only 2 people. This took little effort and looked good. Thanks!