Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This vegetable originates from Mexico and is now known all across the globe. From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Wash chayotes, cut and half and scoop out, using a spoon or potato ball cutter; reserve pulp.
- Mix next five ingredients together and fill cavities loosely.
- Saute pulp in olive oil until golden and add tomatoes.
- Place stuffed chayotes ina greased pan, pour sauteed mixture over them and enough hot water to cover.
- Simmer, covered, for 90 minutes or bake in a slow oven (325F).
- Serve hot with sauce.