Prep 10 mins
Cook 37 mins
Fits a lot of bills: appetizers, breakfast, lunch, snacks....
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 14 1⁄2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 ounce unsalted butter
- 2 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 3 ounces soft fresh white breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed herbs (chef's choice)
- beaten egg, to bind
- Melt the butter and gently fry the mushrooms for 2 minutes.
- Combine with the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Use just sufficient beaten egg to bind- about 3 tablespoons.
- Divide the stuffing among the bacon slices.
- Roll up and secure each, if necessary, with a wooden cocktail stick.
- Cook for 5 minutes under a hot grill, turning once.
- Remove the sticks and place the bacon rolls in an oven dish, in a single layer.
- Place the tomatoes in a saucepan.
- Season to taste and bring to the boil.
- Pour over the bacon rolls and cook in a very moderate oven (about 350°F) for 30 minutes.