Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is our favorite recipe for stuffed peppers. I like to use red or yellow peppers. The kids don't eat the peppers, but they do love the filling. This recipe doesn't make quite enough, so I always double it. The leftovers reheat wonderfully. You can also make the filling and freeze it for a later date. When you pull it out of the freezer and thaw, you'll only have to prepare the peppers, stuff them and bake.
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bag boil-in-the-bag rice
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 3⁄4 lb ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley (I've left this out and also used dried without a problem)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups bottled tomato and basil pasta sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- While rice cooks, cut tops off peppers, discard seeds. Place peppers, cut sides down, in an 8 inch square baking dish and microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until peppers are crisp-tender. Do not overcook.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, parsley, paprika, salt and allspice. Remove from heat.
- Ad rice, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, and cheese to beef mixture, stir to combine.
- While beef cooks, combine 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce and wine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pepper. Place peppers in a 2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray, add wine mixture to pan (save some sauce to drizzle over the tops of the peppers). Cover with foil.
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes or until ightly browned.