Recipe by l0ve2c00k
This is a very classic Puerto Rican dish. It is mostly served with Arroz con gandules. I found this recipe on one of my Puerto Rican cook books and it was adapted to fit Gma's recipe.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs beef eye round
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 sweet chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup roasted red peppers packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 2 ounces cured lean ham
- 12 pimento stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim meat and with a knife, make a long deep pocket from both ends to center of meat.
- Mix onions, garlic, sweet chili, peppers, oregano, capers, OO, vinegar and salt.
- Stuff meat with mixed ingredients alternating with ham and olives.
- Sew opening on both ends to center of meat.
- In a large pot (caldero) heat oil, sofrito and sauce. Add meat. Cook over moderate high heat.
- Add water and bring to a boil, cook until meat is fork tender.
- Add potatoes and bring rapidly to a boil. Cook covered for about 1 hour.
- Note: You can chop more of the veggies used to stuff and add them at the same time you are adding the potatoes.
- Remove meat and boil sauce until tick.
- Cut meat in slices and serve.