Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
came from grandma, old italian favorite at christmas normally but good for any holday
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons marsala wine or 4 tablespoons favorite flavor liquor
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces colored candy sprinkles
- Melt the butter or margarine over low heat.
- Mix together in a large bowl 2-1/2 cups of the flour. Add sugar, flavoring and salt. Make a depression in the middle.
- Drop into it the eggs and the melted butter or margarine. Mix with a wooden spoon and then with the hands until dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour as needed. Knead dough on floured surface until it isn't sticky anymore.
- Break off pieces of dough and roll into ropes about the size of a pencil. Cut into pieces 1/4 inch long. Roll these pieces into little balls and set aside.
- In deep frying pan, heat oil about 2 inches deep. Fry balls until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring 1-1/2 cups of pure honey to a boil. Let honey boil gently for about 3 minutes before adding little dough balls, stirring gently with wooden spoon until they are well-coated.
- Remove balls from honey with a slotted spoon and place in a deep dish or mound them on a platter. Sprinkle surface evenly with nuts and multicolored sprinkles. Cool.