Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Courtsey of Better Homes & Gardens - bhg.com. I tweaked this recipe to make it a bit healthier and more to my liking.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten eggs or 1 egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil or 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- Lightly grease twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, lemon peel, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- In another medium bowl, combine egg, milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, and oil. Add all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full.
- Sprinkle batter with Streusel Topping.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
- Streusel Topping: Stir together 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.