Recipe by Dancer^
My husband loves this recipe, he could even make it himself.
Top Review by Hanatree1482
This was a great recipe. Easy to make. Even though I had to substitute the milk products for soy products because I am allergic to milk, it still turned out great. My boyfriend couldn't get enough of it. Thank you! I will definantly make this again.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet Italian pork sausage or 12 ounces turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon . Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning or 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 10 -12 slices day-old firm white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until sausage begins to lose its pink color, about 4 minutes.
- Add onion and red pepper; cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In saucepan over medium heat (or in a glass measuring cup in microwave oven), heat milk until bubbles appear around edges.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, then gradually whisk in hot milk.
- Add mustard, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper.
- Lightly butter 8- x 11-1/2-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish.
- Line bottom with some bread slices, trimming to fit as needed (use scraps to fill in gaps).
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, then top with sausage mixture.
- Top with remaining bread slices, trimmed as needed.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over.
- Press bread down lightly to submerge.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
- Place dish on baking sheet.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.