Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the best dessert ever. Very light. Wonderful after a big meal and you can make a lighter version as well. This is our favorite and I have taken it to many potlucks, baby and wedding showers and many family get togethers. You will not be disappointed.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 (170 g) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 (2 5/8 ounce) packages Dream Whip (or nutri whip, whipped)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- CRUST: Mix and press into 9X13 pan.
- Reserve a few crumbs to garnish the top.
- FILLING: Dissolve the Jello in boiling water.
- Add the strawberries and the lemon juice.
- Let stand until fairly firm.
- Pour over crust.
- TOPPING: Mix the cream cheese, milk and icing sugar together. (I usually beat the cream cheese with the milk until smooth then beat in the icing sugar).
- Mix in with the prepared Dream Whip.
- Spread on top of strawberry layer.
- Top with reserved crumbs.
- CHILL in fridge until ready to serve.
- NOTE VARIATIONS: For a different look I have kept out about 1/2 cup plain Jello (before the strawberries were added) and mixed in with the topping for a nice pink color.
- I have also used frozen strawberries in liquid and just cut back a bit on the boiling water.
- I have used 2 packages small Jello (instead of a large). A friend used lemon Jello and pineapple.
- The variations are endless.
- I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
- Prep time is approximate and does not include standing time.
Strawberry whirl was one of my Easter desserts - this light and lovely layered dessert a perfect ending to a special meal. Like a strawberry cheesecake with a special surprise. Already on the birthday request list ... and that's as good as it gets at our house! Definitely on for the upcoming summer gatherings. As always your recipes make for winning results - thank you Dotty for posting that crowd pleasing dessert.
This is the second dish that we made for our potluck. It is the perfect dessert for any occasion and any meal. I like the fact that you can vary the flavor of jellow and fruit. Thanks for sharing ANOTHER great recipe, Dotty2.