Recipe by MariaLuisa
I must have made this pie 50 times; it's what I bring for dessert when we are invited out during the summer. It isn't too sweet, and the Grand Marnier adds a heavenly perfume. The trickiest part of the recipe is the almond pastry. It is fragile to work with, but it firms up once cooked. From "San Francisco a la Carte" by the Junior League of San Francisco.
For the almond crust
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 1 pint strawberry
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the almond crust, mix almonds, flour, salt and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter finely into dry ingredients. Sprinkle with the ice water until a dough is formed, and knead the dough for a few minutes to incorporate the butter.
- (Alternatively, you can make the dough in a food processor. Grind the almonds first, then add the flour, salt, sugar, and butter. With the motor running add the ice water until a ball forms. Then proceed with the kneading).
- Refrigerate for about an hour.
- Roll out on a floured board and fit into a 10-inch tart pan or a 9- or 10-inch pie plate.
- Place foil over pastry, fill with dry beans or pastry weights, and bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 12 minutes.
- Carefully remove the foil with the beans and cool.
- For the filling: quickly wash and hull the berries, dry in paper towels, and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar, then add the cornstarch.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add cream.
- Stir in lemon juice, grated orange zest, and Grand Marnier.
- Place strawberries, whole or sliced, in the pastry shell.
- Pour the filling carefully over the berries and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes. The pie should not jiggle when shaken; it will brown slightly.
- Cool pie and refrigerate until cold.
- Dust with powdered sugar through a fine sieve just before serving.