1 hr 45 mins
I must have made this pie 50 times; it's what I bring for dessert when we are invited out during the summer. It isn't too sweet, and the Grand Marnier adds a heavenly perfume. The trickiest part of the recipe is the almond pastry. It is fragile to work with, but it firms up once cooked. From "San Francisco a la Carte" by the Junior League of San Francisco.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the almond crust
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 1For the almond crust, mix almonds, flour, salt and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- 2Using a pastry blender, cut butter finely into dry ingredients. Sprinkle with the ice water until a dough is formed, and knead the dough for a few minutes to incorporate the butter.
- 3(Alternatively, you can make the dough in a food processor. Grind the almonds first, then add the flour, salt, sugar, and butter. With the motor running add the ice water until a ball forms. Then proceed with the kneading).
- 4Refrigerate for about an hour.
- 5Roll out on a floured board and fit into a 10-inch tart pan or a 9- or 10-inch pie plate.
- 6Place foil over pastry, fill with dry beans or pastry weights, and bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 12 minutes.
- 7Carefully remove the foil with the beans and cool.
- 8For the filling: quickly wash and hull the berries, dry in paper towels, and set aside.
- 9Cream together the butter and the sugar, then add the cornstarch.
- 10Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add cream.
- 11Stir in lemon juice, grated orange zest, and Grand Marnier.
- 12Place strawberries, whole or sliced, in the pastry shell.
- 13Pour the filling carefully over the berries and sprinkle with almonds.
- 14Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes. The pie should not jiggle when shaken; it will brown slightly.
- 15Cool pie and refrigerate until cold.
- 16Dust with powdered sugar through a fine sieve just before serving.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Tart or Pie
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of