Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Saw this on Food Network "The Neelys" and had to make this! Would be a great valentines dinner dessert!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box strawberry cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Follow cake directions as written on cake mix box.
- Grease & flour 9 X 13 cake pan.
- Bake cake according to directions.
- Remove from oven and cool cake completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine strawberries, cognac and sugar.
- Let macerate 20 minutes.
- Invert and release cake onto a decorative platter.
- Whip cream with confectioners' sugar and vanilla at medium - high speed until it reaches stiff peaks. Do not over whip.
- Mix gelatin as directed on box.
- Refrigerate gelatin mix but do not let it harden, it should cool to a liquid consistency.
- Use a straw, poke holes all over the cake.
- Pour gelatin into holes and spread over the top of the cake.
- Spread layer of macerated strawberries on top of cake.
- Spread layer of whipped cream on top of the strawberries, making pretty swirls and ripples.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
I made this last year for my daughters birthday and she loved it :) (we all did) I saw it in PD magazine- Thank you so much for posting :)
This is really good. I actually found this recipe in Paula Deen's magazine. This is another wonderful way to use strawberries in a scrumptious dessert when you don't want pie. Thanks for sharing!