The cake part of the recipe comes from Better Homes and Garden cookbook and is listed as Hot Milk Sponge Cake. It's light and fluffy and tastes so much better than store-bought pound cake, and it's also incredibly easy to put together in just minutes! You can use Splend instead of the sugar for a sugar-free version. What I also love about this is that it's made with ingredients that I always have on hand so if I need to make a dessert quickly, this is one I usually do!
My Private Note
pound c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. stir to combine and set aside.
- 2Using a glass measuring cup or small glass bowl, add the milk and butter and heat in the microwave for about 1 minute and the milk is heated and the butter is melted.
- 3Meanwhile, crack the eggs in a large bowl and using a hand-held mixer mix for about 3 minutes and the eggs double in volume and are fluffy. Add the sugar and mix for 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla and lemon juice and mix for a few seconds.
- 4Add 1/3 of the flour and mix well. Add half of the hot milk and continue to mix until combined. Add another 1/3 of the flour and mix well. Add the rest of the rest of the milk to combine. End with the flour. You may want to scrape down the bowl to make sure it's all combined well.
- 5Pour the batter in to a loaf pan that's been sprayed with the Pam for Baking spray or greased and floured. Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes and the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- 6Wash and slice the strawberries and add them to a medium sized bowl. Add the sugar. Start out with the 1/2 cup and add more for taste. Refridgerate the berries for at least 20 minutes before serving. While it's sitting the sugar will soften the berries and create a sauce too.
- 7Serve with the slice of cake, topped with berries and a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Shortcake (Pound-Cake Way)
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.1
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 68.5 mg
- Sodium 254.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g