Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a staple recipe for my family, we all love it.
- 6 cups sliced strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- In a small bowl stir together the strawberries and 1/4 cup of the sugar; set aside.
- Stir together remaining sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir just to moisten.
- Spread the dough in a greased 8x 1 1/2-inch round bakng pan.
- Bake in a 450˚ oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Split into 2 layes.
- Spoon half of the whipped cream and strawberries over bottom layer.
- Replace the top layer.
- Top with remaining berries and whipped cream.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
I've made this twice now - the first as per directions and the second with a few little differences (I used Splenda instead of sugar, using the whole 1/2 cup in the mix and none on the strawberries). Both times it was very well received. It's a little different than a traditional shortcake, more of a biscuit cake and very yummy!