Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I traditionally make a Strawberry Rhubarb pie about this time of year, but this time I decided made this cobbler instead. I don't think anybody is missing the pie, after tasting this! Hope you all enjoy this as much as we did. :) Preparation time does not include time for macerating the fruit.
- 4 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca (heaping tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, orange zest, and nutmeg. Let mixture sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons of sugar, the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened.
- Pour fruit into a 3-quart casserole dish. Drop the batter on the fruit. Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown.
- Serve with whipped cream (optional).