Recipe by 75violets
This dish is called a "salad" when it is more of a dessert. The unlikely pairing of strawberries and pretzels may sound strange at first, but after you try it, you'll be hooked!
Top Review by kimberlietx
I was looking for a quick to make dessert that didn't include chocolate and I was pleasantly surprised when this recipe came up in the search results. I had never heard of it, but I was willing to give it a try since I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, and that NEVER happens to me. Fate, maybe? To cut to the results, the dessert was completely and entirely devoured and everyone raved about it! Here's what I'd do differently next time in the preparation: Use unsalted butter, as the crust at times was a little TOO salty and the pretzels provided plenty of that, but that's just my picky opinion and no one else said a thing about it. 20 minutes prep time does not include the time to cool inbetween steps and afterward so prepare ahead of time accordingly! I decided to do the crust first and put it in the freezer to cool while worked on the jello. I put ice cubes in the jello to help it congeal faster, and then removed them when it got to the right consistency. This sped things up almost instantly! Then I left it to sit in the refrigerator while we ate lunch and it was ready to eat afterward. Dish it up with a spoon, and expect people to go back for seconds!! Great recipe 75violet!
- 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Stir in thawed strawberries. Place in refrigerator until partially congealed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together 2 cups crushed pretzels & 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool.
- Mix 8 oz. cream cheese & 1 cup sugar. Fold in 2 cups Cool Whip. Spread mixture on top of pretzel crust.
- Pour partly congealed Jello over cheese mixture. Place in refrigerator until firmly set.