Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I got this receipe from "The Texas Experience" cookbook. I've tweaked it to my personal preferences and I'm very pleased with the results. It's a very tender bread with a subtle hint of strawberry flavor. I used Imitation Strawberry Extract because that's all I could find locally. If you try it please let me know if you're pleased with the results also.
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon imitation strawberry extract
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Cream butter, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tarter until light and fluffy.
- Add strawberry preserves, strawberry extract, eggs and sour cream, mixing well.
- Add chopped pecans and slowly add 3 cups flour, mixing well.
- Pour batter into loaf pans and bake for approximatley 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
This is a very nice quick bread. It is a good way to use up a very large jar of strawberry preserves. It made two nice size loaves of bread. The pecans added a great flavor and texture to the bread.
I decided to make this really late and wasn't able to get out to buy strawberry extract so I substituted vanilla and it was great! This recipe is definitely a keeper!