Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 teaspoons margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats or 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Beat 3/4 cup margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add combined flour, soda and salt; mix well.
- Stir in oats and nuts.
- Reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Spread the strawberry preserves over the first layer.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool.
- Melt Chips and 4 teaspoons margarine over low heat (or microwave), stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle over crumb mixture. Refrigerate 1 hour; cut into bars.
Recipezaar, I shared these bars with my daughter ( a.k.a. Beet ) and her husband. She said these were really good. This recipe called for 1 cup of the strawberry preserves, I thought that wasn't enough, so I used ( 16 ounces ) from an ( 18 oz. )jar. I also reserved 1-1/2 cups of the crumb mixture for the topping; instead of the 1/2 cup it called for. I baked the bars for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven. After removing the bars from the oven. I immediately ran a sharp knife around the inside of the pan, so the preserves wouldn't stick to the pan. When the bars cooled down, I drizzled with the melted chocolate, ran the knife again around the inside of the pan, and cut the bars into squares ( before placing them in the refrigerator for 1 hour ). This can make up to 24 bars instead of 20.
These are amazing. Quick and easy and loved by my whole family, even the ones who don't care for fruity deserts. I have made these many times and never added the chocolate drizzle. They are chewy, yummy perfection even without the chocolate!
Made it as is and LOVED IT! My family loved them, too! They barely lasted a day here! I also ran a knife around the edge right after baking so the preserves wouldn't make them stick. Thank you for this terrific recipe! It tastes kinda like a nutra grain bar:D EDIT: The first time I made these I also read the instructions incorrectly and reserved half the mixture instead of half a cup. This time I just reserved the half cup and I think I actually like it better using a little more than half the mixture for the bottom, and then the rest for the top. It's more like a nutra-grain bar that way, and they're one of my weaknesses^_^