Top Review by Domestic Goddess
Recipezaar, I shared these bars with my daughter ( a.k.a. Beet ) and her husband. She said these were really good. This recipe called for 1 cup of the strawberry preserves, I thought that wasn't enough, so I used ( 16 ounces ) from an ( 18 oz. )jar. I also reserved 1-1/2 cups of the crumb mixture for the topping; instead of the 1/2 cup it called for. I baked the bars for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven. After removing the bars from the oven. I immediately ran a sharp knife around the inside of the pan, so the preserves wouldn't stick to the pan. When the bars cooled down, I drizzled with the melted chocolate, ran the knife again around the inside of the pan, and cut the bars into squares ( before placing them in the refrigerator for 1 hour ). This can make up to 24 bars instead of 20.
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 teaspoons margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats or 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Beat 3/4 cup margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add combined flour, soda and salt; mix well.
- Stir in oats and nuts.
- Reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Spread the strawberry preserves over the first layer.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool.
- Melt Chips and 4 teaspoons margarine over low heat (or microwave), stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle over crumb mixture. Refrigerate 1 hour; cut into bars.