Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Great summer drink
- 4 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 1⁄3 cups sweet sparkling wine
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 strawberries (to garnish)
- fresh mint sprig (, for garnish)
- Puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Pour puree into a large bowl and add the wine, lemon and sugar.
- Stir the mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour mix into a 24cm square metal tin.
- Freeze for 2 hours, until partially set, whisk twice during this time.
- Return to freezer, uncovered, until completely set, 3 hours at least.
- Scrape a fork over the surface of the granita to make icy flakes.
- Once all the mix has been flaked, cover it with foil and return to the freezer until you wish to serve it.
- Serve in decorative glasses and garnish with strawberry and a mint leaf.
This turned out to be a very yummy dessert after a big dinner. The flavor and taste and texture were wonderful, and I will be sure to remember this recipe for future summer events. I think it could be made just as successfully with some sparkling non-alcoholic grape juice so that the kids in the family could also have some. I only have one suggestion...after pureeing the strawberries, press them through a fine sieve to remove all those tiny little seeds. To my they distracted from the nice smooth texture of the granita. I will be sure to remove the pesky seeds when I make this again. Thanks Evie*