Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
DH is diabetic and I was looking a different cake for him to enjoy without to much guilt. This recipe comes from kraftfood.com. The only thing I did was cut the recipe in half, make it in a 6-inch sprinform pan and use chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet baking chocolate. If you don't have a 6-inch pan you can use an 8 inch cake pan or tart pan.
- 3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup strawberry
- 3 -4 whole strawberries
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup water, boiling
- 1 cup ice cube
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- Mix the crumbs and butter together.
- Press firmly into bottom and halfway up sides of a 6-inch springform pan that has been sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place in freezer while preparing filling.
- Pulse the 1 cup strawberries in food processor until finely chopped, scraping sides 2 to 3 times.
- In a medium size bowl, add the strawberry gelatin and stir in boiling water.
- Continue to stir until gelatin is completely disolved, 2 minutes.
- Add the ice cubes; stir until melted.
- Fold in whipped topping and chopped strawberries; stir gently with wire whisk until well blended.
- Refrigerate gelatin mixture for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and will mound.
- Spoon into prepared crust.
- Refrigerate the cake for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Remove sides of pan, slice reserved strawberries and arrange on top.
- When ready to serve, place chocolate chips in small microwave dish and microwave until melted.
- Slice the cake into 4 to 6 servings and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Please note: If you have additional filling, it can be spooned into a 1/2 cup custard cup and sprinkled with additional graham cracker crumbs.
I made this for the 4th of July this year, my family enjoyed it. I personally thought it was a bit too jello-y, but was light and good. I was really happy that it turned out well because my father is diabetic and lots of diabetic desserts turn out not so well. It was very refreshing. Thank you :)
We enjoyed this, but thought the taste and texture were just a bit off from what we were expecting. It was good and I wish I could exactly put my finger on what was up with it to make it taste a little "different". That said, it was a nice ending to the meal that did not have tons of calories. Thanks Paula.
My whole family raved about this recipe! It was so good and the filling was wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing it.