Fresh Strawberry Cream Cake
photo by knobbyknee
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 35mins
- Beat together cake layer ingredients until well-mixed. Pour into a greased and floured sheet pan and bake at 350* for about 20-25 minutes. (until toothpick comes out clean) Allow cake to cool to room temperature. (I usually do all this the day before.).
- Cream together powdered sugar and cream cheese.
- Fold in whipped cream. (you could use Cool Whip, but I prefer real cream).
- Spread cream mixture over the baked and cooled cake.
- Slice fresh strawberries in half and arrange prettily cut side up over the cream layer.
- Pour glaze over the cut strawberries so that no white cream layer shows though.
- This cake is best served cold, so I always refrigerate for a couple hours before serving. Slice in squares and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great cake! My family usually prefers chocolate, but this was a big hit. I just made it again for Mother's Day. I think it actually gets even better if there are any leftovers. I did make changes to mine, however. I followed the directions on the back of the Yellow Betty Crocker cake mix (only Betty Crocker for me). I also added a tsp. of vanilla and 1/2 cup sour cream. Baked as directed. For the cream layer I added 1 tsp of vanilla and used Cool Whip (regular) and 1/3 fat cream cheese (just because that's what I buy). I did use the Marie's glaze the first time and that was the only think I'm changing this time. It was kind of fake and hard to spread. This time I'm melting straweberry preserves. YUM!
Ok, so read the directions! I didn't and first baked the cake in a 9 x 13! Don't do that, use the sheet cake. I made a new one and just ate the other plain. I took this cake to a ladies function where I had to bring enough to feed 2 dozen people. This cake was the first to go. Everyone that got to taste it LOVED it! And when you actally read the directions while making it, it really is a easy cake to make! Everyone should try this cake. I have made this two more times. Each time the cake looks prettier and prettier! There are a couple of steps, but worth everyone!
I made this and brougt it to work. It was a success. Everyone asked for the recipe, had 2nd's & 3rd's, and agreed it was better cold. This is a very refreshing summer dessert. I did make my own strawberry glaze from a Zaar recipe, and used a yellow cake mix (all I had on hand), and I used the creamy cool whip as well. It was still wonderful. Thanks so much for this one. It is a keeper.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am the wife of my wonderful husband John and the mother of 3 boys, Zander 5yrs, Asher 2 1/2yrs, and Tiernan 10 months. We live in and love Alaska. I love to hike and camp and go running in the mountains. I work part time as a hairstylist in a little salon in my home. I also enjoy scrap-booking, photography, and reading a really good book(my latest was Twilight by Stephenie Meyer). And I love to cook, especially bake! How I rate recipes: 5 Stars - This recipe is perfect. I would recommend it to others and would definitely make again. 4 Stars - This recipe was good but I would change something in it next time. 3 Stars - This is a recipe I would not make again, but it was ok. 2 Stars - I would not make this recipe again and we didn't like it at all. 1 Star - This recipe did not work out or the taste was unappealing and I wouldn't make it again.