Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easy, French, Comfort Food! The batter is much like a crepe mixture and is simply poured over berries and baked until puffed and golden brown. As the berries rise to the top, the bottom layer is in between a cake and custard. I used two, 16 ounce ramekins, but you could also use a baking dish or cast iron pan. Put a sheet of tin foil underneath your baking dish(es) in case the juices from the berries bubble over (so you don’t have to clean your oven). In addition to dusting the Clafouti with powdered sugar you can add whipped cream, ice cream, crème fraiche, Reddi-wip®, you name it!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray Pam on two, 16 oz baking dishes.
- Rinse, hull and slice strawberries in an egg slicer (leave them a little wet); toss strawberries with cornstarch and 1 tsp sugar until evenly coated; evenly distribute strawberries in bottom of dishes and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Then whisk in ¼ cup sugar, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and flour until frothy and lumps are gone. You can use your blender/food processor.
- Pour batter over strawberries.
- Bake until puffed, golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
I like this dessert very well. It is not too sweet, but still a dessert. I found the custard a little eggy, so if you don't like that add a little sugar, I think.