Awesome! This gives a whole new meaning to strawberry shortcake. Great dessert for after any meal and a definite crowd pleaser and easy to prepare. (cooking time is estimated chill time.)
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy; add sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and the almond extract; set aside.
- Fold the cool whip into the cream cheese mixture.
- Gently stir in cake pieces; set aside.
- Combine strawberries and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Layer in a large glass bowl, starting with 1/4 of the strawberries, then adding 1/3 of the cake mixture.
- Continue layering; finish with strawberries.
- Cover with plastic wrap; and chill several hours.
This was a HUGE hit at our Easter get-together! We used 2 angel food cakes and a HUGE box of strawberries (from Sam's Club), and still had quite a bit of cream cheese mix leftover (not that I'm complaining!). My only suggestion is to slice the cake into 1/2 inch thick pieces and assemble it the day you plan on eating it, so the cake doesn't get mealy/mushy. so, SO GOOD!
I made this for a summer barbecue with family and it was delicious! My family waited anxiously in line for a dish of this! I used blueberries in this, as they where in season here and on sale. I look forward to trying the strawberries too, as I am sure it will be just as good! May try blackberries and raspberries too.
This was so easy and delicious. I used low fat cream cheese, fat free greek yougurt and splenda and it still tasted wonderful. Next time I may add mini chocolate chips.