Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Awesome! This gives a whole new meaning to strawberry shortcake. Great dessert for after any meal and a definite crowd pleaser and easy to prepare. (cooking time is estimated chill time.)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup Cool Whip, thawed
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 angel food cake, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy; add sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and the almond extract; set aside.
- Fold the cool whip into the cream cheese mixture.
- Gently stir in cake pieces; set aside.
- Combine strawberries and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Layer in a large glass bowl, starting with 1/4 of the strawberries, then adding 1/3 of the cake mixture.
- Continue layering; finish with strawberries.
- Cover with plastic wrap; and chill several hours.
This was a HUGE hit at our Easter get-together! We used 2 angel food cakes and a HUGE box of strawberries (from Sam's Club), and still had quite a bit of cream cheese mix leftover (not that I'm complaining!). My only suggestion is to slice the cake into 1/2 inch thick pieces and assemble it the day you plan on eating it, so the cake doesn't get mealy/mushy. so, SO GOOD!
YUMYUMYUMYUM! Made this for Valentine's Day dessert and it was perfect - both in taste and presentation (I used a giant red lucite bowl from Tupperware). I layered strawberries, then cake, then cream cheese. Thought cake would get too soggy in the cream cheese mixture. In the end, I ran out of cream cheese mixture so the top layers of strawberries and cake sort of looked like 1 red and white layer -which really looked nice.
I made this for a summer barbecue with family and it was delicious! My family waited anxiously in line for a dish of this! I used blueberries in this, as they where in season here and on sale. I look forward to trying the strawberries too, as I am sure it will be just as good! May try blackberries and raspberries too.