Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Cheesecake, ice cream....two of my favorite things... hmm how can I have cheese cake AND ice cream? BINGO! This is a rich and creamy custard style ice cream. I love this recipe, it is a creation of my own (shall I say a permutation of some other recipes that I've tried) Begin making this one day in advance for best results.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup strawberry, hulled and sliced
- Bring milk just to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, and salt in a bowl, then add hot milk in a slow stream, whisking.
- Pour custard back into saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, approx 2 to 3 minutes, the custard will coat the back of the spoon.
- Immediately pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- On very low speed, blend in cream cheese until thoroughly incorporated.
- Stir in cream and vanilla.
- Place plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard mixture and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or over night.
- Freeze completely cooled custard in ice cream maker.
- When custard is nearly done, add sliced strawberries.
- Complete freezing process and transfer to an airtight container.
- Place in the freezer to ‘cure’ for about two hours.
- Allow to stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes before serving.
Very creamy and yummy. I prefer soft-serve, so we ate it right away. No directions for how to add the lemon juice, so I omitted it. Also, I had a pint of heavy cream to use up, so I used it all instead of milk. My strawberries were frozen (thawed), so I added 2 T. sugar to them just in case they were sour. When I mixed in the cream cheese, the cheese stayed in little curds. It didn't matter in the final product, though. Thanks for the recipe!
This was very very good! I will be making this again.