Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Chocolate and strawberries the perfect combination. This pie is one that you will be asked to make and again and again. Make this pie first thing in the morning and allow to chill until dinner time. The recipe comes from Plain & Fancy a cookbook by The Junior League of Richardson, TX.
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked, cooled
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 (7 g) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- strawberry, halves (to garnish)
- Heat the half and half in saucepan over medium heat.
- Blend in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Remove from heat and beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cool slightly and pour into prepared crust.
- Chill until set.
- In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups strawberries with the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the gelatin packet over the water and allow soften for 1 minute; add to strawberry puree.
- Chill mixture until partially congealed, approximately 10 minutes.
- With electric mixer, beat egg whites, gradually adding sugar, until soft peaks form.
- Fold berry mixture into egg whites and pour over chocolate.
- Chill until set.
- Before serving garnish with additional strawberry halves.
- The cooking time is the recommended minimum chilling time.
This one didn't turn out very well for me. I thought I followed instructions, but I ended up with a gooey mess. The taste was okay, but it was too soupy to serve.
Awesome!!! If I cant have chocolate and mint better make it chocolate and strawberries. I made my own crust, My No Roll Pie Crust and didnt change a thing. This was a great dessert that DD#3 loved, was easy to do! Loved the nice chocolate bottom then the light strawberry topping. Thanks Paula!
This was very easy to make and tastes sinful.It got rave reviews at the BBQ I brought it to. The thick,rich chocolate contrasts nicely with the fluffy strawberry topping. I recommend using a deep dish pie shell, so you don't waste a single drop of the filling. I will definately be using this recipe again! Thank you PaulaG