4 hrs 30 mins
Chocolate and strawberries the perfect combination. This pie is one that you will be asked to make and again and again. Make this pie first thing in the morning and allow to chill until dinner time. The recipe comes from Plain & Fancy a cookbook by The Junior League of Richardson, TX.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the half and half in saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Blend in chocolate chips until smooth.
- 3Remove from heat and beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time.
- 4Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 5Cool slightly and pour into prepared crust.
- 6Chill until set.
- 7In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups strawberries with the lemon juice.
- 8Sprinkle the gelatin packet over the water and allow soften for 1 minute; add to strawberry puree.
- 9Chill mixture until partially congealed, approximately 10 minutes.
- 10With electric mixer, beat egg whites, gradually adding sugar, until soft peaks form.
- 11Fold berry mixture into egg whites and pour over chocolate.
- 12Chill until set.
- 13Before serving garnish with additional strawberry halves.
- 14The cooking time is the recommended minimum chilling time.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Black Bottom Pie
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.3
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 86.7 mg
- Sodium 155.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 6.2 g