Recipe by Carmen B.
I made this for a BBQ in the summer and I brought home an empty plate. I think next time I'm going to try either raspberries or blackberries to give it a taste explosion. This is from Better Homes & Gardens.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup lard
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Using 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water total, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water at a time over the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until all of the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge of pastry. Do not prick pastry. Line the pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F. oven 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until set and dry. Cool.
- For filling, in a saucepan mix the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap.
- Slice bananas 1/4-inch-thick; toss with lemon juice. (You should have about 1-1/4 cups). Spread half the hot filling evenly into pastry shell. Arrange half the bananas and strawberries on top. Top with remaining filling, bananas, and strawberries. Cover; chill 1 to 6 hours.
- Before serving, beat the whipping cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, and almond extract until stiff peaks form. Pipe or dollop onto pie. Makes 8 servings.