Recipe by Pot Scrubber
I love this recipe! It is from the "Frugal Gourmet Whole Family Cookbook" by Jeff Smith. I've made this simple recipe for many years. People are always impressed but... I never tell them how easy it is to make. Some recipes are best kept secret. But I will share this one...
Top Review by jhbrown1010_12067290
My advice is to buy the best Balsamic vinegar you can afford for this dish. Using a 1/4 cup of vinegar with the sugar and reducing it by half, on the stove, will intensify the vinegar and make it even sweeter. Classic Italian preparation. The vinegar also tastes good on black berries and fresh cranberries. I add a little more sugar with the cranberries.
Directions See How It's Made
- Hull the strawberries and cut them into quarters lengthwise.
- Place in a bowl and toss with the vinegar and sugar.
- Cover and allow to rest on the counter for about an hour so that the berries will "juice" then chill in the fridge for another hour.
- Toss again before serving.
- (I like a little more vinegar sprinkled on before serving but do this to your own taste.
- I should mention that these strawberries do not keep well so they should be prepared and eaten the same day. If made more than a few hours ahead of time they are mushy and texturally unappealing. Just thought I should mention that.