Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is THE best roast I ever had. I found it on Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis. It is definitely lip smacking good. Don't be afraid of the long instructions, it only looks like a lot of work.
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock or 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 -2 sprig fresh rosemary, plus
- extra fresh rosemary, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Rub beef generously with salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides in EVOO in a Dutch Oven or other ovenproof pot for about 15 minutes total time.
- Transfer beef to a deep plate or bowl.
- Add a bit more olive oil to the pot and fry onions, adding the 1 tsp of salt until they are tender about 5 minutes.
- Scrape up all the brown bits the meat left behind while onions are cooking.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in the wine and boil 1 more minute.
- Add the stock and porcinis and return beef to the pot.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, cover and put the pot in the oven.
- Braise about 3 hours, turning the meat at halftime.
- Transfer the roast to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 15 minutes.
- Discard excess fat off the top of the sauce, pour sauce into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a saucepan, add rosemary sprig and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove rosemary.
- Cut beef into slices, it should be fork-tender, arrange on serving platter and top with a bit of sauce.
- Garnish with extra rosemary and pour the left over sauce into a saucier/gravy boat.
- Best served with potatoes.
Delicious! Even for non-mushroom lovers.
I didn't have the porcini and I do believe my hubby did not follow thru with the blender and rosemary steps but just made a gravy instead. I was at work and when I finger tasted (I'm on a diet) there was no rosemary but my DD claimed the best darn gravy. The meat was delish. Will try again and get the mushrooms and follow thru with all the instructions.
100 stars!! People, you need to try this recipe. The sauce has so much flavor. The fresh rosemary jumps out and makes this recipe elegant enough for company, but so easy. My family totally loved it. Two things to be careful with, I burnt my hand when I poured the sauce into the blender. Don't forget it's hot (dah) and secondly, be very careful when you blend the hot sauce. It filled my blender and when I turned it on it went all over. Blend it very slowly, and even take the little top off to let out some of the steam. This is a wonderful low carb recipe and the sauce is so thick. I can't say enough about this recipe!!