Here is a twist on a Chinese restaurant standard, shredded smoked chicken (I prefer thighs, but you can use breasts as well) tossed with crispy snow peas and an Indonesian-style peanut sauce. From the cookbook, "Smokin" Makes 6 first course or 2 main course servings
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or 1 tablespoon mild white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded iceberg or 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 1Smoke the chicken (see related recipe) and cool to room temperature. When cool, shred the chicken coarsely into pieces about 1/4-inch wide and 2-inches long. If using thighs, discard the fat and cartilage as you go.
- 2Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the snow peas and cook until just bright green, about 15 seconds. Drain and rinse snow peas under cold water until completely cooled. Drain horoughly and cut them lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips.
- 3To make the Peanut Sauce, heat the vegetable oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- 4Stir in the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook, shaking the pan gently, just until you can smell the garlic, but before it browns. (You'll smell the ginger first) Scrape the seasoned oil into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the peanut butter, 2 tablespoons water, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar and process until you have a fairly smooth sauce. Check the seasoning and add more of any of the sauce ingredients you like. Scrape the sauce into a medium bowl.
- 5Add the chicken and snow peas and toss together gently until all the ingredients are lightly covered with the sauce. The sauce should be thin and creamy enough to lightly coat the ingredients; if not add warm water one tablespoon at a time. Serve the salad on a bed of the shredded lettuce, either on individual plates or a large platter.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stove Top Smoker Shredded Chicken With Peanut Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.9
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 723.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: