Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the Cameron Cooking Guide, and to be prepared using a stove top smoker. You can use quail or pheasant in this recipe. The smoker is wonderful for wild game as it helps keep it moist. Be sure not to overcook.
- 1 small quail (game birds) or 1 small pheasant (game birds)
- Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oak wood chips
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pecan wood chips
- bacon, strips (if wild birds-omit if domestic)
- Split birds and brush with Dijon mustard, salt & pepper. Place into smoker and use a foil tent if the lid will not shut.
- Smoke on medium heat for 25 minutes per pound, using both oak and pecan wood chips.
- Remove top and place bacon strips over birds and place under broiler, watching carefully to crisp the skin.