Recipe by mrsrexy
My parents made this often when I was a child and it is still one of my favourite meals as an adult. Quick, tasty and cheap! We usually have this as a main dish with a salad and rolls. Measurements are approximate as I don't follow a recipe and it can be adjusted for personal preference. Can use whole, crushed or diced tomatoes
Top Review by Julie in TX
I grew up eating this. Forget about chicken soup when I'm under the weather. Just give me some macaroni & tomatoes! I do make mine a little different, but basically, it's the same. After I cook the macaroni, I cut two strips of bacon into small pieces and add them to the pan I cooked the macaroni in. Cook the bacon until it's crisp & browned. Remove bacon from grease. Add about 1/4 cup finely diced onion to the bacon grease & saute until it's translucent. Add canned diced tomatoes and heat thoroughly. Add back the bacon bits and macaroni and season with salt & pepper. Yummy!
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to direcions.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Add tomatoes including juices and heat on low/medium until hot.
- If using diced or whole tomatoes, crush.
- Be careful macaroni doesn't stick to bottom of pot - stir frequently!
- I have added butter and/or cheese whiz for additional flavour.
- Depending on amount of macaroni cooked, I have used 28 oz can of tomatoes.
- I have also used italian style tomatoes and chili tomatoes which give it a slightly different flavour, but plain tomatoes are best for our family preference. I have tried canned tomatoes with olive oil and spices (to be used for brushetta) and they are too oily and doesn't result have good results.