Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A really good recipe that I tried from the Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary Cookbook. Great for children who don't like baked mac and cheese!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot water (to dissolve mustard in)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water for recommended cooking time on box.
- Drain and return to pot and add butter.
- Stir macaroni and butter until well blended.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (evaporated milk through pepper) and stir well.
- Set pot over very low heat and cook macaroni mixture.
- Stir constantly until sauce is smooth and macaroni is steaming, 5-10 minutes. The sauce should thicken, if not, slightly raise the heat and cook another 5 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERHEAT OR SAUCE WILL CURDLE.
- If you have family members who like baked macaroni, you can put this into a baking dish and top with breadcrumbs, and then cook in a 350 degree over for 5-10 minutes. Macaroni will still be creamy, and there will be a nice crunchy topping.