Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My reverse-engineered recipe for Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese. Recipe may be halved and baked in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- 4 quarts boiling water (add 1 tablespoon salt)
- 4 cups dry medium elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons stick margarine (I use Blue Bonnet)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1 (8 ounce) can cheese spread (Kraft Sharp Cheddar Easy Cheese)
- 16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (medium, not mild or sharp)
- salt, to taste
- NOTE: This recipe can be prepared in two methods -- "crusty" (baked), or "creamy" (stovetop). SET oven rack to center position; PREHEAT oven to 375°F if using the "crusty" baked macaroni and cheese option in Step 9; SPRAY a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick baking spray; SHRED 16 ounces (1 lb.) sharp cheddar cheese; SET aside.
- BRING 4 quarts (16 cups) water to a rolling boil; ADD 1 tablespoon salt and 4 cups dry medium elbow macaroni; BLANCH macaroni until just tender; DRAIN cooked macaroni in colander, scraping all pasta from pot.
- RINSE drained macaroni in colander under cold running water for 30 seconds; ALLOW macaroni to drain; RETURN empty pot to stovetop on medium-low to medium heat.
- MELT 6 tablespoons margarine in pot; ADD 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons cornstarch to make a roux; COOK over low heat, whisking until light golden (do not scorch).
- POUR in 4 1/2 cups skim milk while whisking; ADD 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon citric acid; STIR; RAISE heat to medium.
- ADD one (8 ounce) can Kraft Sharp Cheddar Easy Cheese; REDUCE heat to low; ADD 16 ounces shredded medium cheddar cheese; STIR constantly over lowest heat until mixture melts and becomes very smooth and consistent in texture.
- ADD rinsed drained macaroni to pot; WHISK to separate any clumped macaroni and combine; ADD salt to taste if necessary.
- POUR then scrape mixture into greased 9 x 13 baking dish (for make-ahead freezing only, use greased cake or loaf pans); SET baking dish over a large baking sheet covered with foil.
- FOR CRUSTY MACARONI AND CHEESE: Leave baking dish uncovered; Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool and set for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- FOR CREAMY MACARONI AND CHEESE: Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often until desired consistency is achieved. Serve and enjoy!
excellent it tasted just like stouffer's. I halved the recipe and used lemon juice a couple of drops instead of the citris however it was great
Perfect! Tasted exactly the same. The only downfall is that we can purchase, at our warehouse 'club' store, the same portion size for a lesser price, but if I can find coupons, or sale prices that make it a bit cheaper, it's a definite dinner plan for us.<br/><br/>I also used lemon juice in place of the citric acid, like the other review suggested, came out perfect.<br/><br/>Thanks for the recipe.