1/1 Photo of Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese (Copycat)
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered recipe for Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese. Recipe may be halved and baked in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 quarts boiling water (add 1 tablespoon salt)
- 4 cups dry medium elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons stick margarine (I use Blue Bonnet)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1 (8 ounce) can cheese spread (Kraft Sharp Cheddar Easy Cheese)
- 16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (medium, not mild or sharp)
- salt, to taste
- 1NOTE: This recipe can be prepared in two methods -- "crusty" (baked), or "creamy" (stovetop). SET oven rack to center position; PREHEAT oven to 375°F if using the "crusty" baked macaroni and cheese option in Step 9; SPRAY a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick baking spray; SHRED 16 ounces (1 lb.) sharp cheddar cheese; SET aside.
- 2BRING 4 quarts (16 cups) water to a rolling boil; ADD 1 tablespoon salt and 4 cups dry medium elbow macaroni; BLANCH macaroni until just tender; DRAIN cooked macaroni in colander, scraping all pasta from pot.
- 3RINSE drained macaroni in colander under cold running water for 30 seconds; ALLOW macaroni to drain; RETURN empty pot to stovetop on medium-low to medium heat.
- 4MELT 6 tablespoons margarine in pot; ADD 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons cornstarch to make a roux; COOK over low heat, whisking until light golden (do not scorch).
- 5POUR in 4 1/2 cups skim milk while whisking; ADD 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon citric acid; STIR; RAISE heat to medium.
- 6ADD one (8 ounce) can Kraft Sharp Cheddar Easy Cheese; REDUCE heat to low; ADD 16 ounces shredded medium cheddar cheese; STIR constantly over lowest heat until mixture melts and becomes very smooth and consistent in texture.
- 7ADD rinsed drained macaroni to pot; WHISK to separate any clumped macaroni and combine; ADD salt to taste if necessary.
- 8POUR then scrape mixture into greased 9 x 13 baking dish (for make-ahead freezing only, use greased cake or loaf pans); SET baking dish over a large baking sheet covered with foil.
- 9FOR CRUSTY MACARONI AND CHEESE: Leave baking dish uncovered; Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool and set for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- 10FOR CREAMY MACARONI AND CHEESE: Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often until desired consistency is achieved. Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.6
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.0 mg
- Sodium 772.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 20.9 g