1/5 Photos of Stoemp Aux Poireaux/Stoemp Met Prei - Belgian Mashed Potatoes
This is a version of a dish I first had in Brussels. I think it is a traditional Flemish working person's dish, and goes really well with Carbonnades de Boeuf or Waterzooi. It is also sometimes cooked with ham as well. You can use light chicken stock in place of the vege stock if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large potatoes, peeled (I use valour in the UK, but any potato suitable for mashing is OK)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup cream (single is fine)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 medium leeks, finely sliced (don't use the dark green bits)
- 1/2 cup stock, light vegetable, make sure it's good quality
- salt and pepper
- little freshly ground nutmeg
- 1Cook the potatoes until they are just tender (you can cube them which will speed up the cooking time). Drain well and mash (or use a potato ricer for better results).
- 2While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large frypan over medium heat.
- 3Add the garlic and onion, and cook until just softened (do not burn), then add the leeks and saute until everything is just translucent.
- 4Add the cream and stock. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- 5Drain the onion mixture but reserve the liquid. Put the liquid back into the pan and reduce by half. This will take 5 minutes or so.
- 6Once the sauce is reduced mix the onions and potato mixture together. Then return to the pan and stir the sauce through until well combined. Season to taste.
- 7If the mixture is too dry add more butter or milk if you don't want too much fat.
- 8This is yummy served with stews and casseroles.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stoemp Aux Poireaux/Stoemp Met Prei - Belgian Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.8
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 40.1 mg
- Sodium 71.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: