Recipe by Scarlett516
Added for ZWT 6. You may substitute regular basil for Thai, which has a mild anise flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cleaned squid, rinsed well
- 1⁄2 cup whole Thai basil, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry the squid well. Cut vertically through the group of tentacles if it is large, otherwise leave whole.
- Cut the squid body into rectangles, diamonds, or squares with no pieces being larger than 1 inch.
- If the basil leaves are large, chop to about the same size pieces as the squid.
- Mix the squid and basil together.
- Heat wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium, then add the peanut oil.
- Swirl the oil and add the garlic. Stir once and return the heat to high before adding the squid-basil mixture.
- Stir and add the red pepper. Stir frequently until the squid becomes opaque, less than one minute.
- Begin tasting the squid and keep tasting until tender, about 1-3 minutes more. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over rice.