Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Excellent side dish for grilled meat or couscous or on its own with yoghurt and a green salad, mango must be ripe and sweet or you will need to add honey to the dish to balance the flavours. From Modern Moroccan by Ghillie Basan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 carrots, sliced into rounds
- 3 tablespoons pistachio nuts, shelled and roasted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
- 1 small mango, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy fry pan or wok.
- Stir in the onion, ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- add the carrots, tossing them in the pan to make sure that they are thoroughly mixed with the flavouring ingredients, and cook until they begin to brown.
- Add the pistachio nuts, cinnamon and ras el hanout, then gently mix in the mango.
- sprinkle with coriander, season with salt and pour over the lemon juice.
- serve immediately.
Liked the cinnamon, ginger, mangoes, and pistachios but felt that it was too spicy so next time will reduce the ras el hanout spice mix to half. Served with North African-Style Stewed Chicken,Kateh - Iranian Simple Rice, and Manaquis Bil-Za'tar -- Thyme Bread (Lebanon -- Middle East). Thank you lindseylcw for posting. Made for Unrulies Under the Influence while traveling through NA*ME during ZWT6.
This is probably my new favorite way of serving carrots. The addition of pistachios and mangoes is perfect, and I loved the spice blend. I will be making this often- thanks for sharing!
This was a really interesting dish. Wasn't sure what to expect with the mango, but it all works well together. Unfortunately I didn't have any pistachio nuts (that would have been a great addition), but otherwise made as written except for parsley instead of cilantro. I thought the spice was just right. This would be an interesting side dish for a BBQ party, thanks for sharing! ZWT6.