The earlier you take this out of the oven, the stickier it is, but make sure it is cooked! An incredibly moreish and arguably healthier desert, or as a coffee cake.
- Preheat oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3/325°F.
- Line a 18cm/7in loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, before adding the 2 eggs and mixing in well.
- Next, add the molasses followed by the ginger powder and flour (sifted).
- Incorporate the chopped stem ginger and syrup into the mixture.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk and mix in well.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes.
- Use a skewer to test, it should be clean but the cake should have some moisture when you press down on it, almost like a brownie.