Recipe by **Jubes**
An Yvonne Voorthuisen recipe submitted to a health magazine that I subscribe to. A good simple recipe for a warm dessert. She uses Orgran brand gluten-free flour mix that does contain a gum. If using a blend without gum you should add some xanthan gum (or substitute)
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 60 g butter or 60 g margarine
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour or 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 200 ml cream (4/5 cup)
- 130 g butter or 130 g margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160°C and grease a large loaf tin or similar sized casserole dish.
- Add the dates and water to a saucepan and simmer gentley, until the dates have softened. Remove from the heat.
- Add the sugar, butter, bi-carb soda and vanilla essence to the date mixture ,while the mixture is still warm. Allow to cool.
- Add the eggs and flour. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for approx 30 minutes.
- For the sauce: Using a saucepan- combine all sauce ingredients and simmer gentley for 5 minutes.
- TO serve: place a slice or square of the date pussing in a bowl and spoon over some sauce.
- Leftovers can be frozen in single-serve plastic containers and reheated in the microwave for one minute on High.