Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I have been trying to duplicate a recipe from a local Greek restaurant. This comes pretty close.
- 2 -3 lbs lamb stew meat or 2 -3 lbs lamb shanks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- Place flour, salt and pepper into a large bag and add lamb pieces.
- Shake until lamb is well coated.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Saute lamb until golden brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and dried oregano, adding a little more olive oil if necessary.
- Place all ingredients into a crock pot and simmer on medium-high for approx 4-6 hours or until lamb is tender.
- If stew becomes too thick, add additional beef broth as needed.
- Serve with white rice and greek salad.
I'm not sure where the "Greek" flavor comes in. But this was very tasty. I didn't have tomato paste so I used 1 14oz can of tomato sauce and two chopped vine-riped tomatoes and 2 bay leaves. This was straightforward and easy to make. Thank you.