Recipe by dicentra
This is from 125 Meatless Main Dishes. I don't see any reason you couldn't use canned beans.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 10 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 lbs fresh fennel
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and rinse the beans and cover with plenty of water. Soak for several hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans and place in a stockpot with 10 cups of water, 2 of the garlic cloves, and the chili flakes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Beans should be barely tender.
- Trim leaf portion from fennel roots. Cut in half, then coarsely chop.
- When beans are done, add fennel to the pot along with the onions and salt.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the tomatoes with the remaining garlic and the basil in a small skillet over medium heat just long enough to wilt the basil.
- Add to the pot along with the peas. Simmer 5 more minutes, until everything is heated through. Serve hot.